Monday, August 17, 2009

The Second Time Around

I have had this idea for a post floating in my head for a while now. I'm just surprised at myself how differently things have been this time. This is not a post about how much more uncomfortable I am so don't worry :) It's just being an "experienced" mom now has made this pregnancy and how I have responded to it very different. For starters.....

The first time, I read every single word of What to Expect When You're Expecting and any other pregnancy related book I could get my hands on. This time, I have read maybe two chapters out of all my books and figure I know everything there is to know.

The first time, I took 3 pregnancy tests just to make sure the test remained positive. This time, I only took one test....I just knew I was pregnant based on the way I felt.

The first time, Theo and I enjoyed taking lamaze classes. This time, we are much too busy chasing Carter around to hire a sitter weekly to attend birthing classes.

The first time, I was so excited about registering for baby things and constantdly updated my registry based on new things I thought I would need. This time, when my mom suggested registering so my family would know what to get me, I declined the offer thinking that it was going to be too much work carrying Carter around Baby Depot!

The first time, I had beautiful maternity pictures made and had them proudly displayed in our home. This time, although I wanted to have maternity photos made, I ran out of time and figured baby girl would understand. Besides, my belly is just not quite the same :)

The first time, I obsessed over the way I wanted my labor and delivery experiecne to be (i.e. not being induced, not having a c-section, etc). This time, induction at this point sounds GREAT and I'm learning God's timing and ways are perfect and not stress out about it too much.

The first time, I weighed myself constantly because I didn't want to gain too much weight. This time, I don't care and only check my weight at my doctor's appointments.

The first time, I was embarrassed to bare my pregnant belly on the beach while in Florida for fear of what people think. This time, I thought to heck with it....I'm not spending money on a maternity bathing suit so people will just have to deal with it.

The first time, I had Carter's room set up long before his due date. This time, although I would like to have Olivia's room all done, right now her crib is still in Carter's room and her bedding is laying on top of the pack and play.

The first time, I couldn't really relax at home with Carter because I was constantly worrying about keeping up with grad school. This time, I will not be worrying about school and will cherish every moment (well, most of them at least) being a stay at home mom to my two kids.

The first time, I fell in love with my baby as soon as I knew I was pregnant. This time, I did too and can't wait to meet her. God is so good and I'm blessed beyond measure.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom and beautiful pregnant woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. experience...wisdom...family...love


    You now have it all.

    ReplyDelete