Thursday, April 30, 2009

She Said WHAT?

So the other night, Theo and I were flipping through the channels and saw a program on discovery health about women who gave birth who never knew they were pregnant. Well as a former NICU nurse, this is definitely something I had seen before but these moms I dealt with were usually drug addicts and not all there. So I wanted to see what these women on the show were like. All of them looked fairly normal, not like drug addicts at all but I couldn't believe what they were saying.

The first girl was young when she gave birth at 30 weeks. She swore she only gained a few pounds and never knew she was pregnant. WHAT??? After having been pregnant twice now, how in the world could you not know you were pregant? Even if you had what you thought was a period every month or even periodically, how do you explain the swollen breasts, constant need to urinate, and the BABY moving around inside of you. And this chick was tiny. She only weighed 99 pounds before getting pregnant and was 110 pounds at delivery. They showed pictures of her two months before the baby was born and she didn't look really pregnant. But I still don't understand how you could feel your baby kicking and swimming around, which they do a lot by 30 weeks, and not think "Hmmmm, this is different. I wonder what I'm feeling". I mean sheesh!

Anyway, I was so appalled by these stories that I thought I'd share with you. Oh, and FYI, the second woman was a little overweight but had already have a couple of kids. How then do you not recognize being pregnant? Oh well, thankfully I am well aware of my baby growing inside of me. No surprise births for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment