Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First OB appointment/Telling the parents

Yesterday was my first prenatal visit. Unfortunately, Theo wasn't able to come to this one but he really didn't miss much. The ultrasound tech was going to scan me but I told her that I'm only 5 weeks pregnant and didn't want an ultrasound without my husband there. So I got some routine lab work done and met with Dr. B. My former OB is on medical leave so I saw a new OB this time. He was really nice. After looking over my medical and family history, he decided to send me to a high-risk OB sometime later in my pregnancy. I am more than healthy but because Carter was born with a VSD (ventricular septal defect, which is a abnormal hole in the heart between the two ventricles), he wants a highrisk OB to evaluate this baby's heart very closely using 3D/4D ultrasound. I personally think it's unnecessary but if we get some cool ultrasounds out of it, I can't complain! My next appointment is on 1/29/09 and that is when we'll have our first ultrasound. I'll be between 8 and 9 weeks along. After we see our baby's heartbeat and know the baby is doing ok, then we will start telling everyone.

We did tell my mom yesterday and Theo told his parents. I will call my dad today and fill him in on the news. I called my mom yesterday and asked if she wanted to meet at starbucks. After a few minutes of casual conversation. I told her that I needed her help with Carter's birthday party this year. She said "It's a little early don't you think?....but ok" I said "This year instead of having a birthday party, we're having a......BABY!" It took her a second but then the look on her face was priceless! This baby is due on Carter's birthday (9/7/09) How cool is that?

I think I almost gave my pregnancy away at work today. The doctors and I were rounding and the x-ray tech came into the NICU and was about to x-ray the baby we were talking about. I literally made a beeline to get out of the way. Everyone was looking at me like "Hmmmm, are you pregnant?". I just smiled and continue to say "We're working on it". It was funny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment