Friday, January 21, 2011

38 weeks and an unexpected hospital visit

I'm 38.5 weeks! I think I only have 10 or 11 days to go...something like that. I don't have a picture for this week yet. I've been too tired to worry about it. But hopefully this weekend, I can get Theo to take one for me.

Yesterday, I met a friend from church for breakfast at Chick-fil-A. We had a wonderful time. I have been feeling very isolated so it was great to have some adult conversation, even though Carter and Olivia were tagging along. When I came home though, I was hanging our coats up and I slipped on a plastic hanger that had fallen on the floor. I tried to catch myself but landed pretty hard on the hardwood floor on my left side. I called my OBs office and she said I need to go to the Labor Unit to be put on a fetal monitor. I wasn't having any bleeding, cramping, contractions, leaking, and I had been feeling the baby move but they wanted to play it safe. I knew the baby was okay. What I was worried about was who was going to watch the kids. I had called up to the Labor Unit and the nurse said I would be there anywhere from 4 to 24 hours!

I of course called Theo at work. He met me at the hospital, stayed for a while and then took the kids home. I stayed on the monitor for about 3 hours and everything was fine. They also drew some lab to determine if I was having any placental bleeding and that all came back fine. So I was able to go home. Praise the Lord. I'm pretty sore and I feel like I can hardly walk but I think that's being 9 months pregnant and not necessarily from my clumsy fall.

I had my regular appointment today and everything was fine. I've really dropped. The baby's heartbeat was great. My cervix on the other hand.....completely closed! Oh well. I am 100% not anxious about it all this time. I would still like to go into labor on my own but have absolutely no problems with getting induced this go round. The plan is to induce on Feb 2nd at this point. I don't want to get induced early because I still want to give my body a chance. But it won't hurt my feelings if I have to have some help starting the process! I was a nervous wreck about it with Olivia and remember crying one time after an appointment because I wasn't dilating. Uh, no, not this time! My mother in law comes next Wednesday so as long as the baby will hold off until then, I really don't care when or how it happens and long as I have a safe delivery.

I had the strangest dream the other night....I dreamed I had given birth but I wasn't at the hospital. I don't know quite where I was. But I was just carrying the baby below my ya know, girly parts, and the baby was just hanging on by the umbilical cord. I was calm, not too worried about it.  But I called up to LSU and talked to one of the neonatal nurse practitioner's I used to work with and asked her if I should clamp the cord and she said not to worry about it (which is NOT right!) I don't remember how the dream ended but it was wild! I didn't get to see what the baby's gender was either. Oh well!

Anyway, so that was my week. I am utterly exhausted. I think I'm going on strike. No more cooking, cleaning, or laundry for a while. I will feed my kids, change and bathe them but that is probably about it at this point. Mother-in-law better get here soon!


  1. I'm glad everything was ok yesterday. And about that going on strike thing....YOU GO GIRL! I love you!

  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, but I'm glad you & baby are ok. Please do go on strike, b/c I'm sure you will need your energy when Baby Panton #3 arrives.